Firmware 1.1.3 is recommended for regular use, unless you need any of those features from Canon:
- clean HDMI out
- dual monitor support (internal+external)
- AF at f/8 with teleconverters
If you need anything from the above list, please upgrade to 1.2.3.
However, please be aware some ML features are not present in 1.2.3 (see the Features tab and the 1.1.3 forum thread).
Recommended card setup
- install Magic Lantern to an SD card
- use CF card(s) for taking pictures or recording videos
However, any card configuration may be used.
- Format the card from the camera.
- Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.1.3.
If you are running 1.3.3, 1.3.4 or 1.3.5, you can downgrade with EOS Utility (instructions).
There is no known way (for now) to downgrade from 1.3.6!
- Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.
- Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- DIGIC V
- ARM946E-S (cpuinfo)
- Extensions: WFI from ARMv6, SCTLR.TE redefined
- QEMU model: arm946eos
- SD interface:
- CF interface:
- ~120 MB/s write, ~150MB/s read (UDMA 7)
- In LiveView, write speed drops to ~90MB/s (1080p24) ... ~60MB/s (1080p60)
- General-purpose DMA: 8 channels
- EDMAC (image processing Engine DMA Controller): 32 channels
- SDDMA, CFDMA, UART DMA