Firmware 1.1.3 is recommended for regular use, unless you need any of those features from Canon:
- clean HDMI out
- dual monitor support (internal+external)
- AF at f/8 with teleconverters
If you need anything from the above list, please upgrade to 1.2.3.
However, please be aware some ML features are not present in 1.2.3 (see the Features tab and the 1.1.3 forum thread).
Recommended card setup
- install Magic Lantern to an SD card
- use CF card(s) for taking pictures or recording videos
However, any card configuration may be used.
- Format the card (SD or CF) from the camera.
- Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.1.3.
If you are running 1.3.3, 1.3.4 or 1.3.5, you can downgrade with EOS Utility (instructions).
Downgrading from 1.3.6 is possible, but tricky.
- Once you have the correct Canon firmware:
- copy ML files to the root of your SD or CF card (your choice)
- launch Update Firmware from Canon menu
- follow the on-screen instructions (you will have to reboot the camera before the timeout)
- after installation, copy ROM0.BIN and ROM1.bin to your computer and keep them safe, just in case.
- Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- DIGIC V
- ARM946E-S (cpuinfo)
- Extensions: WFI from ARMv6, SCTLR.TE redefined
- QEMU model: arm946eos
- SD interface:
- CF interface:
- ~120 MB/s write, ~150MB/s read (UDMA 7)
- In LiveView, write speed drops to ~90MB/s (1080p24) ... ~60MB/s (1080p60)
- General-purpose DMA: 8 channels
- EDMAC (image processing Engine DMA Controller): 32 channels
- SDDMA, CFDMA, UART DMA