Firmware 1.1.3 is recommended for regular use, unless you need any of those features from Canon:
- clean HDMI out
- dual monitor support (internal+external)
- AF at f/8 with teleconverters
If you need anything from the above list, please upgrade to 1.2.3.
However, please be aware some ML features are not present in 1.2.3 (see the Features tab and the 1.1.3 forum thread).
Recommended card setup
- install Magic Lantern to an SD card
- use CF card(s) for taking pictures or recording videos
However, any card configuration may be used.
- Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.1.3.
If you are running 1.3.3 or higher, you can downgrade with EOS Utility (instructions).
- Format the card from the camera.
- Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.
- After installation, copy your ROM files (ML/LOGS on the card) to a safe place.
- Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
From one card:
- Canon menu: Format card, remove Magic Lantern.
- Never delete the Magic Lantern files from the card! Format the card instead.
on the wiki.
Camera doesn't boot?
- Remove battery, remove card.
- Put battery back, close card and battery covers.
- Start the camera without card.
- » Did it work? Format the card, reinstall Magic Lantern.
- » Still not working? Double-check battery and card doors, run the diagnostic tools and get in touch with us.
- If your camera locks up, remove the battery and reboot.
- Make sure you have a backup card without Magic Lantern on it (just in case).
- To restore ML defaults: Prefs → Config files.
- To see what settings you have changed from ML defaults: Modified (Δ) menu.
- To disable Magic Lantern temporarily: press and hold SET at startup.
Magic Lantern is not approved nor endorsed by Canon in any way,
and using it will probably void your warranty.
We are not responsible for any damages to your camera.
Copyright (C) 2009-2017 Magic Lantern Development Team
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 2 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.